KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 22 March, 2022
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Goodbye and Thank you, Sean.
After 15 years of service, Sean Boland will retire from his role as General Manager of Kilkenny Golf Club.
A native of Clarey Gowan, Tullamore, Co. Offally, Sean moved to Kilkenny in 1985 and it is rumoured that he was a member of Kilkenny GC even before the family arrived.
An all round, very keen sportsman, Sean, having transferred from Portarlington GC, further fine tuned his golfing skills in Kilkenny and represented the Club in various Cups and Shields over the years.
In 2006 Sean was elected Captain of Kilkenny GC, a task he carried out with great pride.
The following year he was appointed General Manager of the Club. He relished the task of organising the affairs and workings of the Club, a challenge he rose to and enjoyed over his 15 years.
As his term of office comes to an end Kilkenny members will remember Sean for all the stellar work he did during the years.
There will be a presentation to Sean this coming Friday, 25 March, at 18.00hrs with finger food-+. Members are invited to join our Captain, Liam Barrett, as we say ‘thank you’ Sean for the superb job you did for Kilkenny Golf Club.
Slow play continues to be a major problem with-in the club. Far too often, gaps are appearing on the course with matches losing as much as three holes on the players ahead of them.
The Committee, starting with the club Foursomes qualifier, will be marshalling the course in an effort to speed up the play and make the game of golf an enjoyable experience and not a game of frustration for others.
If required, sanctions will be imposed on serial offenders with the possibility of them being required to play later in the day.
If a competition tees off at nine minutes intervals you should, for the most part, this interval should be maintained and be within the nine minutes of the group ahead, when finishing.
Another guideline for players is, if you don’t have to wait to play the 10th hole you need to pick up the pace of play.
Unnecessary holing out is also a contributing factor. If you can’t score, pick up and move on.
Remember your place on the course is immediately behind the people in front, not in front of the people behind. (as determined by the rules of golf 5.6a & 5.6b – Pace of play).
Following two years of Covid regulations that stipulated it was acceptable for just one signature, plus the printed name of a witness for a score to be registered.
Following our meeting last evening it was decided that this ruling is no longer applicable.
With immediate effect (March Monthly Medal) two signatures a will be required prior to submitting your card.
Cards should be swapped prior to commencing your round, with the players score recorded in column A. You can use column to record your out score for checking at thee end of your round.
All cards registered for the competition must be inputted on the computer regardless of an N/R, walk off course, or for what ever reason you may have.
Members who use their phones to register to play and submit their score must submit a hard copy of their exploits.
Presentation of Prizes
There will be a presentation of prizes take place this coming Friday, at 18.00hrs.
All outstanding competitions, including some Monthly Medals from 2020 &2021 will be presented by the Captain, Liam Barrett.
Along with the winners of the St. Patricks Week-end events (listed below), the following members are requested to attend.
Monthly Medals winners
Sam Dunlop (2020 Gold Medal Winner)
June 2020:- Iain Harrison
July 2020:- Bryan Rogers
September 2021:- Thomas Buckley
October 2021:- Eoin Cantwell
St. Patrick’s week-end. Kindly sponsored by Paddy Raggett Homes.
Thursday, 17 & Friday, 18 March. Four Person Open Team Event.
1. D Butler (KK), 9, M. Manogue, J Manogue 11, B. Dermody 17, (all Callan) 93
2. J Rowe KK, 10, A Dunne (Mt. J.) 9, M Muldowney 26, T Kelly 15 (both Callan) 92
3. J Young 6, P Curran 11, K Hoban 7, P Hickey 9, (all KK), 90
4. T O’Driscoll 18, M Foley, J Tierney 18, S Bourke 20, (all Callan), 89
Ladies Team:- H Butler 20, S Downes 24, C Leahy 23, M Noughton 2 (all KK), 87
Details off the two’s Club will follow next week.
Saturday, 19 & Sunday, 20 March. Spring Singles. (GOTY )
1. Reuben Holden (HI-10.8, PH-11), 43pts (B9)
2. Eamon Brennan (HI-10.1, PH-10), 43pts
3. Billy Hayes (HI-18.3 PH-20), 42pts
Gross:- Eddie Power (HI- -0.5, PH -1) 73 gross
4. Jim White (HI-8.5, PH-10), 41pts (B9)
5. Martin Leahy (HI-11.3, PH12), 41pts
6. John Lynch (HI-20, PH-22), 40pts (B9)
7. Brendan Wall (HI-8.1, PH-9) 40pts
8. Pat McEvoy (HI-15.1, PH-16), 39pts
6th. B. Rogers, Brendan Wall, Richie Guilfoyle, Alan Doran, Brian Delaney,
Stephen Galvin, Ollie O’Connor, Liam O’Hara, Derek Shelly, J Kealy, PJ Martin,
10th. Kieran Hoban, John Hoban, Richie Guilfoyle, Anthony Cleere,
Bobby O Mahony, Ivan Browne,
15th. Michael Grant,
17th. Liam McCormack, Reuben Holden, Rory MacEneaney, Ivan Browne
Each ‘Two’ receives €10.95 credit in the Pro Shop.
Thursday, 16 March. 14 Hole, Four person team
1. Michael Hayes, Gabby Maher, Bob Greany, Dick Keoghan. 73 pts
2. John McMahon, Pat Drennan, Liam Barry. (65+5) 70 pts.
3. Dick Curtin, Henry Bourke, Kevin Donohoe, Tom Reade. 69 pts (B4)
4. Philip O’Neill, Matt Ruth, Richard Butler, Denis Carey. 69 pts
5. PJ Martin, Noel O’Sullivan, Dermot Moloney, Gerry McGovern. 68 pts
6. Proinnsias O hAilin, Peter Dabinett, Shem Lawlor, Sean Breathnach. 67 pts
7. Pat Cody, Peter Ryan, Michael Cody, Henk Van Der Puil. 66 pts.
Thursday, 24 March:- 13/14 hole four man team event.
Thursday, 31 March:- 13/14 hole four man team event.
Ladies Club Notes
Round Robin continues with just two weeks to go to deadline for completion on April 3rd.
This week’s competition will be 18 Holes Singles Stableford.
Tuesday, 15 March. 18 Hole Stableford
1. Nollaig Cotter (48), (49-4) 45 pts
2. Bridget Norwood (28), (42-4) 38 pts (B9)
Gross:- Mary Norton (15), 21 pts
3. Joan Cashin (37), 38 pts
4. Margaret Harmer (32), 37 pts (B9)
5. Mary Rice (29), 37 pts
Nine Hole Stableford
1. Patricia O’ Sullivan (10), 19 pts
2. Teresa Ryan (27), 18 pts
3. Ursula De Loughry (13), 17 pts (B9)
Thursday, 16 March. Nine Hole team event.
1. Catherine Barrett, Margaret Harmer, Toni Hayes, Mary Feighery 39 pts.
2. Bridget Norwood, Teresa Buckley, Fionnuala Hennebry, (34+3) 37 pts.
3. Edith Ogilvie, Peggy Murray, Eileen Reynolds, Mary O’Connell, 36 pts.
4. Ann Kelly, Adrienne Walsh, Josie Bolger, Breda O Donnell, 35 pts. (B6)
5. Eileen Byrne, Hilda Richardson, Joan O’Sullivan, (32+3) 35 pts.
44 Ladies played
Senior Ladies Society will play a Nine hole competition on Thursday, 31 March.
Entry Sheet will be available on this coming Thursday and draw will take place on Monday 28 March.
Wednesday, 23 March
07.32-10.32 Irish Schoolgirls Area Qualifiers
10.41-17.53 Members Casual Golf
Thursday, 24 March
08.00-09.00 Members Casual Golf
09.10-11.10 Senior Ladies
10.01-13.11 Senior Gent’s
13.00-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Friday, 25 March
07.20-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Saturday, 26 March
07.30-09.00 Members Casual Golf
09.09-10.21 Ladies & Gent’s Competition
10.30-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Sunday, 27 March
07.30-15.27 Ladies & Gent’s Competition
Gent’s:- March Monthly Medal (GOTY)
Ladies:- 18 Hole Stableford
Kindly sponsored by Modern Printers.
15.36-15.54 ladies Nine Hole Competition
15.54-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Monday, 28 March
07.32-09.02 Course Closed for Maintenance
09.11-09.56 Members Casual Golf
10.05-12.22 Gent’s Monthly Medal (GOTY)
12.29-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Tuesday, 29 March
07.30-08.24 / 10.57-12.00 / 14.24-15.54 & 16.30-18.00
Members Casual Golf
08.33-10.48 / 12.09-14.15 & 16.03-16.21
Ladies Competitions to include 13/14 Hole, Nine Hole and Ladies into Golf Events.
Wednesday, 30 March
07.32-18.00 Members Casual Golf