KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 15 February, 2022
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Kindly Sponsored by Club Professional Jimmy Bolger.
Captains, Mags Cuddihy and Liam Barrett held their Drive-in last Sunday,13 February.
Despite the extremely heavy rain overnight and early morning the clouds cleared and a very large crowd gathered to wish both Captains well for the day and the year ahead.
With Mags splitting the Fairway and Liam, teeing off from the Ladies tee, sent his drive out right. With the amalgamation of both Clubs under Golf Ireland, is this a sign of things to come?
This was followed by a Four Person, mixed team Champagne Scramble with 34 teams playing the 13 holes in beautiful weather.
The golf was followed by an excellent hot plate of Chicken Curry or Beef Strogonoff.
The prize giving took place after the food, with the presentation of the Captains Mixed Team event, sponsored by James Walsh, Toyota Motors, followed by the Drive-in prizes kindly sponsored by Club Professional Jimmy Bolger. Full details of prize winners below.
In what was, an excellent atmosphere, both Captains addressed the members, expressing their gratitude and thanks to all who played, turned up for the Drive-in and sent greetings.
They both wished all members a successful years golf and hoped that the various team would experience success in their quest for silverware.
As the Club prepares to say farewell to General Manager, Sean Boland, after 15 years at the helm, we welcome his successor, Mark Ruddy to Kilkenny Golf Club.
Mark, a proud Tipperary man, arrived at the Club on Monday, will work with Sean, until he retires in late March.
Mark has moved from the position of General Manager of Lucan Golf Club, having held similar positions in Courtown and Charlesland Golf Clubs.
His career includes time as Marketing Manager for Carr Golf and he spent a number of years in the United Arab Emirates as the Golf Events Manager at Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club.
Mark brings extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of Golf Club management. He was a former qualified golf professional but had his amateur status restored in 2018.
Mark has the requisite skills in team management, financial and project management, strategic planning and marketing to ensure Kilkenny Golf Club will be managed effectively and will further develop the business and ensure the Club maintains its reputation as a premier course.
Mark is looking forward to working with all the Staff, Officers and Committees in the Club and to providing a first-class service to all members.
Welcome to Kilkenny Golf Club Mark. We wish you all the very best in your new role.
The final countdown has commenced for Members to pay their subscriptions for 2022.
You are reminded that your subscription is due for payment by Monday, 28 February.
There will be no extension to this date due to the large volume of applications for new members.
Members may pay their subscription through the office by Cash, Cheque, Debit or Credit Card. You may also phone in, with card details if you wish.
Members, wishing to pay the full payment by EFT can transfer direct into our Bank Account, with a reference to their name.
Our Bank Details are as follows:-
If you have been availing of the Premium Credit facility and you wish to continue doing so, you must contact Sean or Ann and confirm you wish to continue to avail of this facility.
Any Member, who wishes to spread out their payments over eight months (March to October) can do so, by signing up with Premium Credit.
Just contact the office and they will download the forms for you.
Any member who is already paying by Premium Credit just needs to let us know that they wish to renew and they do not need to complete any forms.
When the hollow coring is completed next week, volunteer’s will be required to assist the course staff with the removal of the pellets from the greens.
Dependant on weather, this is likely to be on Tuesday, but confirmation of the timing and day will be circulated via Club V1.
Practice Putting Green
The Practice Green will remain closed Monday to Friday until further notice. Further information on its full reopen will follow in the coming weeks.
Food & Beverage
With the course closing next week there will be no food available in the Club from Monday to Friday.
The bar facilities will be open from 11.00-18.00hrs during the closure.
If there are any changes to the above arrangements, members will be notified via Club V1.
Sunday, 13 February. Captains Drive-in. 13 hole Mixed Champagne Scramble.
1. Martin Costello, Mary O’Neil, Catherine Griffin, Josephine Leahy, 75pts.
2. Ollie O’Connor, Richard Butler, Mary Hickey, Ann Kelly, 73pts.(B7)
3. Paddy O’Neill, Jack McNamara, Frances Foley, Ann Widger. 73pts.(B4)
4. Conan MacConmara, Michael Manning, Stephanie Downes, Bridget Norwood,73pts.
5. Rob O’Shea, Seamus Crickley, Joan Mannion, Anne Shortt, 72pts.
Saturday, 12 February. Crosscard.
1. Martin Duggan, Michael Egan, Pat McEvoy, Willie Murphy. 69 Pts
2. Eamonn Brennan, Eamonn O’Connor, Joe Greene, Noel Casey. 67 Pts (B6)
3. Joe O’Neill, Tony Butler, Kieran Dempsey, Dermot Doyle. 67 Pts
4. Brian Cullen, Brian Keane, PJ O’Reilly, Tony O’Reilly. 66 Pts
5. Jimmy Rhatigan, Michael Fogarty, Michael O’Sullivan, Rob O’Shea. 65 Pts
6. Ben McGarry, Liam Cody, Murt Farragher, Sean Byrne. 64 Pts
For this Saturday’s competition, Members are requested to register, in person, by 12.30 for a 13.00hrs tee-off.
Individual Cross-card League Table. Round 14.
1. John Geoghegan 140 pts.
2. David Dooley 136
3. Tony Butler 132
4. Larry Gittens 125
5. Richie Phelan 124
6. Eamonn Brennan 121
7. Tom Sloyan 120
8. Pat McEvoy 119
9. Bernie Clarke 118
10. Brian Cullen 117
11. Michael O’Sullivan 116
PJ Martin 116
Pat Walsh 116
Captains Mixed Team event. Kindly Sponsored by James Walsh, Toyota Motors.
1. John Grace, Tony McCarthy, Catherine Hughes, Donal O’Donovan. 76pts.
2. Liam Barrett, Patricia Walsh, Joan Cody, Brian Keane. 75pts. (B7)
3. Eddie Power, Mary Walshe, Seamus Crickley, Dervilla O’Byrne. 75pts.
4. James Young, Joe Green, Stephen McCormack, Mary Hickey, 73 (B7)
5. David Dooley, Pat Collins, Ana Lyons, Cecile Costello 73
Wednesday, 09 February. 12 hole Four person team
1. Ollie Cullen, PJ O’Reilly, Gerry Bowe, Roger Ryan. 62 pts (B6).
2. David O’Mahony, Dick Curtin, Michael O’Reilly, Pat Duggan. 62 pts (B6).
3. Noel Casey, Noel Skehan, Shem Lawlor, Dick Cogan. 62 pts.
4. Michael Egan, Murt Farragher, Willie B. Murphy, Martin Mullane. 61 pts (B6).
5. Liam Cody, Dom Murphy, Dick Keoghan, Tom Reade. 61 pts (B6).
6. Pat Hickey, Billy Burke, Joe O’Driscoll, Paddy Hally. 61 pts.
7. Brian Cullen, Michael Hayes, Brendan Graham, Richie McEvoy. 60 pts.
This Wednesday (16th), is Society Captain, Tom Keating’s Drive-In, so hopefully a good crowd will gather around the 1st tee at around 09.30 to see Tom hit one of his excellent straight drives and wish him well for the year.
Wednesday, 16 February:- Captain’s Drive-In. Four person team event.
Wednesday, 23 February:- Champagne Scramble.
Ladies Club Notes
The draw for this competition has been made and is now displayed on the notice board. Please check out, as soon as possible, as all matches must be played before Sunday, 27 March.
The terms of the competition are also posted on the notice board for reference.
The Cross Card competitions are ongoing and can be played during casual golf slots and also while playing in the weekly competitions.
Tuesday, 08 February. 14 Hole Stableford.
1. Mary Walshe (35) 31 Pts
2. Catherine Leahy (20) (32-2) 30 Pts
Gross:- Mary Leahy Browne (2) 26 Pts
3. Paula Bradbury (18) (31-2) 29 Pts (B6)
4. Imelda Pollock (27) 29 Pts (B9)
5. Margaret Kiely (16) 29 Pts
Ladies 9 Hole Stableford
1. Mary Browne (17) 22 Pts
2. Patricia Walsh (22) 20 Pts
Ladies Cross Cards 25-28 January.
1. Margaret Kiely & Paula Bradbury 34 Pts
2. Margaret Kiely & Phyl Doyle 32 Pts (B9)
3. Joan O’Gorman & Jacinta Culleton 32 Pts
Ladies Cross Cards 01 – 08 February.
1. Susan Olden & Liz Neary 33 Pts
2. Jacinta Culleton & Joan O’Gorman 32 Pts (B9)
3. Liz Neary & Jacinta Culleton 32 Pts (B9)
Thursday, 10 February. Nine Hole Competition
1. Bridget Norwood, Breda Kavanagh, Eileen Byrne, Sheila O’Mahony, 45 pts.
2. Frances Foley, Kitty Nolan, Joan O’Brien, (40+3) 43 pts.
3. Catherine Keane, Breda Comerford, Marian Woodcock, (38+3) 41 pts.
4. Margaret McCreery, Margaret McDonald, Gene O’Brien, (36+3) 39 pts. (B6)
5. Ann Widger, Toni Hayes, Joan Mannion, (36+3) 39 pts.
Senior Ladies Society next outing will be a Nine hole competition on Thursday,03 March, as the Course will be closed Thursday, 24 February.
Wednesday, 16 February
08.00-09.21 Members Casual Golf
09.30-13.20 Senior Gents Society
13.42-16.24 Members Casual Golf
Thursday, 17 February
08.30-09.20 Members Casual Golf
09.30-11.30 Senior Ladies
11.40-16.30 Members Casual Golf
Friday, 18 February
08.00-16.24 Members Casual Golf
Saturday, 19 February
07.49-08.10 Members Casual Golf
Sunday, 20 February
07.51-14.45 Ladies & Gents Competition
Gent’s:- Scotch Foursomes
14.54-15.21 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
15.30-16.24 Members Casual Golf
Monday 21, – Friday 25, February.
The course will be closed from Monday until Friday to allow the Course staff to hollow core the greens and carry out much needed remedial work following the heavy usage of the last few weeks.