KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 12 October, 2021
(Leinster’s Hidden Gem 2019)
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Adopt a Green.
The list of those members who volunteered to adopt a green is placed on the Gents & Ladies notice boards. Apologies to those who may have been left off the original list.
Anyone who wishes to add their names to a hole may do so by adding their name to the lists on the board.
Members should remember however, that the onus is on each and every one of us to repair our own pitch marks and not to rely on others.
Like everything, there is a right and a wrong way to repair pitch marks.
Please refer to the many short videos available, on You Tube, as to how we should complete this essential task.
Now that the foliage from this year’s crop of wildflower has been removed, the Greens staff will proceed with the next stage of preparing the areas for next season.
Sean Dowling and the team will lightly scarify the ground. They will then scatter most of the 8/9 Kg of seed, gathered by members two weeks ago, and then roll the area.
The remainder of the seed will be used next spring to top up certain areas and help to maintain and improve the magnificent display of colour we got from the native, local wildflowers that were sown this year.
Players, please note that the wildflower areas will continue to be NO GO AREAS.
Members are entitled to a free drop, not nearer the hole from the point where their ball crossed into the zone.
As you are aware we have now a fully operational Swing Studio built to the left of the ballroom. The purpose of the studio is that our professional Jimmy Bolger can carry out lessons and club fittings for members. We will also be making the studio available to individuals and groups who want to play a round of golf on the simulator. Our intention is to make the Swing studio available to members from the first week in November. In the meantime, we will be letting members know how to book, prices, courses available to play, opening times etc. Thank you for your patience on this but we need to examine the new Covid rules being announced by the government on 22nd October before we can set out the exact parameters of usage.
Homecare Thank You.
The organizing committee of the Homecare wish to thank all those who supported their Golf classic earlier this year. A special thanks also to the Sponsors and Kilkenny Golf Club for helping to make the day so successful.
The organising Committee handed over a cheque of €13,500 to Homecare at a presentation held in the Golf Club last Friday night.
With the Club experiencing a shortage of storage space it has been agreed to dispense with the Pool table and convert the room into much needed storage space.
Any member who wishes to acquire the pool table should contact Sean in the office and arrange for the dismantling and removal of same.
Saturday Crosscard Fourball.
The annual Saturday Crosscard Fourball will make its return later this month with the first session set to take place on Saturday, 23 October.
The usual format will apply where members will be informed of their playing partners upon registration. It is requested, by the organisers, that members pay, using notes and not coins when entering.
Sunday, Monday, 10, 11 October. 18 Hole Singles Stableford.
1. Charlie Browne (12) 41 pts
2. Henk Van Der Puil (31) 39 pts (B9)
3. Sean Boland (10) 39 pts (B9)
Gross:- Richard Duggan (1) 33 pts
4. Cormac Connolly (18) 39 pts
5. Brian Delaney (9) 38 pts
6th. Sean Byrne,
10th. Colm McMenamin, Eamon O’Connor, Sean Boland,
15th. Tony Butler,
17th. Stephen Rochford, Ger Carey, Mark Brennan,
Each ‘Two’ receives €27.25 credit in the Pro Shop.
Saturday, 09 October. Kilkenny Lions Club Golf Classic
1. Alex Ryan, Adam Ryan, Colin Ryan, 92 pts.
2. Aine Russell, Catherine Hughes, Colette Hickey, 91 pts.
3. Dick Curtin, Paddy Smee, Noel O’Sullivan, 87 pts.
4. Kevin O’Donohoe, Peter Ryan, Pat Walshe, 86 pts.
5. Philip Tierney, Michael Tierney, James Fitzpatrick, 85 pts.
Philip O’Neill, PRO, Kilkenny Lions Club, thanked the participants and sponsors for supporting their golf classic and making it a great success.
He also thanked Kilkenny Golf Club and in particular the greens staff for having the course in superb condition.
The proceeds of the classic went to the Kilkenny Branch of the Order of Malta.
Thursday, 07 October. 14 Hole, Four person team
1. Brian Cullen, Richie Phelan, Chris Kelly, Henk Van Der Puil. 76
2. Philip O’Neill, Michael McCarthy, Des Byrne, Gerry Bowe. 73
3. Pat Collins, Willie Leahy, David Ryan, Noel Skehan. 70 (B7)
4. Billy Burke, Gabby Maher, Eddie Geraghty, Dermot Moloney. 70
5. Gerry Leahy, Jerry O’Dwyer, Maurice Ryan, Tom Keating. 69
6. John Geoghegan, Noel O’Sullivan, Martin Treacy, Eamonn Everard. 68 (B7)
7. Paul Colfer, Pat Cody, John O’Donovan, Brian Keane. 68
Ray Cody Cup
1. Henk Van Der Puil. 33
1. Michael McCarthy. 32 (B7)
2. Gerry Leahy. 32
1. Brian Keane. 32
2. Richie Phelan. 30 (B7)
Thursday, 14 October:- Champagne scramble.
Thursday, 21 October:- Golfer of the Year Round 6. Eamonn Molloy Cup.
Monday, 11 October. Away outing to New Ross GC
Four Person Team. 18 Hole Stableford
1. Dermot Gaynor, Matt Ruth, Des Byrne. 86 (80+6)
2. John Geoghegan, Richie McEvoy, Joe Ledwidge, Jim Meredith. 82 (B9)
3. Mick O’Flynn, Geoff Meagher, Dermot Moloney, Myles McCabe. 82
4. Pat Collins, Michael Nicholson, Pat Duggan, Liam Barry. 81
5. Jerry O’Dwyer, Brian Keane, Michael Cody. (73+6) 79
6. Brian Cullen, Tony Joyce, Nicky Lawlor, Pat O’Shea. 78
7. Paddy Smee, John Bracken, Reay Brandon, Eamonn Everard. 77
Pro Shop Corner
Ladies, there is a complete clothes rail of ladies clothing, reduced to clear, now available in the Pro shop
Please call in and avail of the exceptional value available.
Ladies Club Notes
Tuesday, 05 October. Ladies 18 Hole Stableford
1. Bridie McGarry (12) 38 pts (B9)
2. Ann Widger (24) 38 pts (B9)
Gross:- Mary Leahy Browne (3) 30
3. Mary Bradshaw (27) 38 pts (B9)
4. Mary Doyle (42) 37 pts
5. Colette Hickey (34) 36 pts (B9)
Nine Hole Stableford
1. Ella Dunphy (9) 22 pts
2. Valerie Duncan (17) 21 pts
3. Dervilla O’Byrne (7), 20 pts
Thursday, 07 October. Nine Hole Team Event.
1. Ann Gunning, Peggy Murray, Mary O’Connell, Anne B. Murphy, 43 pts.
2. Mary Browne, Imelda Pollock, Gretta Kelly, Mary Lawlor, 42 pts. (B6)
3. Margaret Harmer, Breda Kavanagh, Kathleen Price, Mary Feighery, 42 pts. (B6)
33 Ladies played.
Entry Sheet for Nine Hole competition on October 21st will be available on Senior Ladies Society notice board this coming Thursday.
The Kilkenny Junior Sixes Team will join with six other regional winners and head to Portmarnock on Saturday, 24 October, when they will compete in 2021 GolfSixes National Finals.
Kilkenny will be joined by teams from Tuam, Co. Louth, Millicent, Doneraile, Tipperary, Lurgan and Portstewart
October Mid-Term Competition.
The Junior/Juvenile members should note that there will be a competition during the mid-term break. It will take place on Wednesday, 27th October.
Further details will be announced next week.
Wednesday, 13 October
08.20-08.50 Members Casual Golf , 08.59-15.16 Ladies and Gent’s Open Singles ,15.25-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Thursday, 14 October
08.00-09.00 Members Casual Golf, 09.10-11.10 Senior Ladies, 10.20-13.20 Senior Gent’s, 13.21-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Friday, 15 October
08.00-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Saturday, 16 October
07.56-08.40 Members Casual Golf , 08.49-09.34 Ladies and Gents Competition, 09.48-10.52 Society
11.00-11.54 Ladies and Gents Competition , 12.04-13.16 Society, 13.24-14.00 Members Casual Golf
14.09-14.54 Ladies and Gents Competition , 15.03-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Sunday, 17 October
07.56-14.50 Ladies and Gents Competition
Gent’s:- Scotch Foursomes
Ladies:- 18 Hole Stableford
14.59-15.17 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
15.26-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Monday, 18 October
08.22-12.45 Ladies Junior Alliance, 12.54-13.12 Gent’s Scotch Foursomes , 13.21-13.57 Members Casual Golf
14.06-15.00 Gent’s Scotch Foursomes, 15.09-18.00 Members Casual Golf
Tuesday, 19 October
10.37-12.16 / 14.40-16.10 & 16.36-18.00
Members Casual Golf
08.31-10.28 / 12.25-14.31 & 16.19-16.28
Ladies Competitions to include 18 Hole, Nine Hole and Ladies into Golf Events.
Wednesday, 20 October
08.30-18.00 Members Casual Golf