KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 17 August , 2021
(Leinster’s Hidden Gem 2019)
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Last evening, Kilkenny Golf Club, recognised the achievements of Club member, Mark Power, on his selection and outstanding performance at this years Walker Cup held in The Seminole Golf Club, USA.
Club Captain, Paul Colfer acknowledged Marks achievements by congratulating him on his performance, winning three points out of a possible four and also being given the honour of being the lead player for the GB & I Team in the two final sessions.
Mark returns to Wake Forest this Friday taking with him all the good wishes of the Members, Officers, and Management of Kilkenny Golf Club.
Alzheimer’s Association of Kilkenny.
Following the success of the Open August Bank Holiday week-end the Lady Captain, Ber Crowdle presented a Cheque from the proceeds to the Kilkenny Branch of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Kilkenny Block, Junior Scratch Cup
The Mens 36 Hole Junior Scratch Cup, kindly sponsored by Kilkenny Block will be held on Saturday, 28 August. The 36 hole competition will have a handicap Index range for entrants of 2.3 to 8.3.
Bookings are now available on the BRS.
The entry fee is €25 and this includes a light lunch at halfway.
Please book your first round online and your second round will be allocated to you 4½ hours after your first round, e.g. the line going out at 07.30hrs will be commencing their second round at 12 noon and so on for the rest of the timesheet.
Any member who wishes to partake in the divot repair sessions please contact John King, he could do with some more volunteers for the fortnightly sessions.
Saturday, 14 August. Prochem Engineering Intermediate Scratch Cup
1. William Roberts (10), 77
2. James FitzPatrick (10), 78
3. Brendan Wall (10), 79
4. Eamon O’Connor (10), 82 (B9)
1. Ben McGarry (17), 71
2. Paul Dunoon (13), 72 (B9)
Details next week.
Wednesday, 11 August. Ladies & Gents Open Singles
1. Colm McMenamin 13 39pts
2. Kevin Browne 6 38pts
3. Paul Ryan KK 14 37 pts
Gross:- Graham Nugent KK +1 36 pts
4. Kevin Brennan KK 5 37pts (B9)
5. Liam Dowling Castlecomer 17 37 pts
Liz Neary KK 22 38 pts
6th. Donal O’Donovan, Donal O’Riordan, Kevin Browne,
10th. Anthony White, 17th. Alan Phelan, Stephen McCormack
Each ‘Two’ receives €19.90 credit in the Pro Shop.
Thursday, 29 July. 14 Hole Four person team
1. Tom Gunning, Willie Leahy, Richie Phelan, Paddy Hally. 72 (B7)
2. Gerry Leahy, Michael O’Sullivan, Chris Kelly, Henk Van Der Puil. 72
3. John King, Willie B Murphy, Tony Joyce, Gerry Bowe. 70 (B7)
4. Dom Murphy, Kevin Donohoe, Jim Treacy, Tom Keating. 70
5. Pat Collins, Gabriel Maher, Nick Lawlor, John O’Donovan. 69
6. Noel Skehan, Patrick Witherow, Eddie Geraghty, Roger Ryan. 68 (B7)
7. Michael Grant, Peter Dabinett, Pat O’Shea, Joe Leech. 68
80 Members played.
Thursday, 19 August:- 13 holes starting from the 1st tee
Thursday, 26 August:- Open Seniors.
Monday, 16 August. Away outing to Athy GC. 18 Hole Stableford
1. Brian Cullen, Matt Ruth, Richie McEvoy, Paddy Hally, 98
2. Proinnsias O hAilin, Kevin Donohoe, Dermot Moloney, (88+6) 94
3. Morgan Doyle, Murt Farragher, Peter Ryan, Brendan McIntyre. 90
4. John King, Michael O’Sullivan, Jim Meredith, Liam Barry, 87 (B6)
5. Paddy Smee, Des Byrne, Martin Treacy, Tom Keating, 87
6. John Geoghegan, Michael McCarthy, Michael Cody, Brian Keane, 84
7. Michael Grant, Frank Bradbury, Reay Brandon, Paddy Witherow, 82 (B9)
51 Players took part.
Ladies Club Notes
Lady President, Mary Browne, will host her day on Sunday, 29 August.
The timesheet will be open for entry on this Friday, 20 August.
Ladies please note that the new date for the Ladies Past Captain’s day is Wednesday, 01 September.
Tuesday, 10 August. 18 Hole Stableford.
1. Annette Stapleton (23) 45 pts
2. Yvonne Egan (11) 41 pts
Gross:- Mary Leahy Browne (3) 30 pts.
3. Catherine Leahy (27) 38 pts
4. Evelyn Crotty ( 16) 37 pts (B9)
5. Ana Lyons (20) 37 pts (B9)
Nine Hole Stableford
1. Anne Murphy (15) 22 pts
2. Hilda Richardson (21) 19 pts
Competition:- Junior Cup Area Final.
Match:- Tullamore v Kilkenny
Venue:- Tullamore three matches, Kilkenny two.
Date/Time:- Sunday, 22 August @ 13.50hrs
Home:- Mary O’Shea, Mags Cuddihy
Away:- Eva Duggan, Niamh Spratt, Dervilla O’Byrne
Reserves:- Bridie McGarry, Mary Norton.
Managers:- Ann Widger & Liz Kinsella
Competition:- Senior Cup, Quarter Finals
Match:- Kilkenny v Lahinch
Venue:- The Castle G.C. Dublin.
Date/Time:- Friday, 20 August @ 14.20 hrs.
Team:- Mary Dowling, Orla Dunphy, Eileen Rose Power, Mary Leahy Browne, Sarah Molloy.
Reserve: Ann Smee.
Managers:- Ella Dunphy & Eileen Rose Power.
Hard luck to the Junior Foursomes Team who were defeated by the Royal Curragh.
It was a great achievement to reach the final of the competition.
A special thanks to all the players and the Team Managers, Paula Bradbury and Ann Greany.
Congratulations to the Junior Cup team who defeated Carlow in the area semi-final last Saturday.
The matches were played in dreadful conditions but this did not lessen the excitement.
Mary O’Shea won on the 16th and Mags Cuddihy won on the 13th.
Both players, played marvelous golf and secured two vital points at home.
In Carlow, Bridie McGarry met strong opposition and lost on the 14th. Niamh Spratt, in a sea saw battle, won on the 18th, to secure victory for Kilkenny.
Dervilla O’Byrne was called in, 1 down on the 18th.
The team showed great grit and determination against a very strong Carlow team.
Thanks to all the players
Managers:- Ann Widger & Liz Kinsella.
President, John Donovan, will present his prizes to the Ladies next Sunday, 22 August. Time will be confirmed later.
Thursday, 12 August. Nine Hole Competition.
1. Lourda Everard, Toni Hayes, Imelda Pollock, Marian Woodcock 43
2. Mary Browne, 41Kathleen Price, Josie Bolger, Frances Gray, 41
3. Ann Gunning, 39 (B6) Frances Graham, Mary Feighery Mary Lawlor, 39 (B6)
4. Edith Ogilvie, 39 pts. Peggy Murray, Gretta Kelly, Elizabeth Tobin, 39
44 Ladies played.
The Senior Ladies will play a 13 hole Competition this Thursday, 19 August, teeing off from the 5th hole.
The away outing, to New Ross, is on Thursday, 26 August and the entry sheet is now full. Draw will take place Monday, 23 August.
Monday, 16 August. 18 Hole Stableford.
1. Millie Molloy (26) 40 Pts
Boys – Full Handicap
1. Colm Byrne (15) 41 Pts
2. Louis Raggett (20) 34 Pts
Boys – Juveniles
1. Andrew Brennan (26) 48 Pts
2. Darragh Lawlor (25) 40 Pts
3. Seán Sheeran (23) 38 Pts
35 Players took Part
Next Junior Competition Tuesday, 24 August, 14.00 to 17.00
Wednesday, 18 August
08.00-09.00 Members Casual Golf
09.10-13.00 St. Vincent de Paul Golf Classic, Three Persons Team
13.10-13.40 Members Casual Golf
13.50-16.54 St. Vincent de Paul Golf Classic, Three Persons Team
17.10-20.30 Members Casual Golf
Thursday, 19 August
08.00-09.10 Members Casual Golf
09.00-10.44 Senior Ladies (5-17)
10.00-13.30 Senior Gent’s
13.50-19.30 Members Casual Golf
Friday, 20 August
08.00-10.40 Members Casual Golf
12.20-20.30 Members Casual Golf
Saturday, 21 August
07.30-08.27 Members Casual Golf
09.03-12.30 President, John O’Donovan’s Prize for Men.
13.15-14.00 Members Casual Golf
14.09-17.09 President, John O’Donovan’s Prize for Men.
17.18-20.30 Members Casual Golf
Sunday, 22 August
07.30-17.00 President, John O’Donovan’s Prize for Men.
17.10-20.00. Members Casual Golf
Monday, 23 August
08.00- 20.00 Course Closed (Greens over seeding).
Tuesday, 24 August
08.00-14.00 Course Closed (Greens over seeding).
14.00-17.00 Junior /Juvenile Competition
17.10-20.00 Members Casual Golf
Wednesday, 25 August
08.00-08.20 /10.53-12.05 /14.47-16.00 & 19.20-20.30
Members Casual Golf
08.29-10.44 / 12.14-14.29 & 16.08.17.11
Ladies Competitions to include 18 Hole, Nine Hole and Ladies into Golf Events.