KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 09 March, 2021
(Leinster’s Hidden Gem 2019)
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
A reminder to existing members that their subscriptions are now due, if for any reason you have not received your bill please contact the office. Thanks to all those who have paid to date and for your understanding, patience and forbearance in these times
Intermediate and Juvenile/Junior Membership
Existing members, of the above categories, wishing to continue their membership of Kilkenny Golf Club for 2021 and who have not paid their subscriptions are urged to contact the office.
There is a substantial waiting list for both categories and the Committee need to make a decision this week as to whether or not to invite those on the waiting list to join the club.
Having completed the hollow coring of the greens, the next major task for the Grounds Staff is the solid tining of the fairways.
Weather permitting, they will commence this project early next week and will hope to complete the aeration of all fairways in the next few weeks.
This will give ample time for the fairways to recover in readiness for our much-anticipated return to golf.
Work has commenced on the recently agreed Bio diversity programme. The preparatory work of killing off the wild grasses in the agreed locations has a commenced. Once this is completed sowing of the wild flowers will commence by the end of March/first week of April. We will see results of this programme by the
The construction of the handrail at the eight tee box will also be completed by next week.
Barry Joyce has created a special Mother’s Day menu for this week-end.
Why not take the hardship out of your Sunday lunch by giving him a call and arranging your pick up time.
Meals will be available for guests on Saturday (16.30-19.30hrs) and Sunday (13.00-17.30hrs.)
Barry can be contacted on 086 820 5260 when you can place your order and arrange a collection time.
Members of the Seniors Golf Society can use their Christmas Gift vouchers as payment/ part payment for any meals they order.
Sub 60 Scores on US PGA Tour
SCORE PLAYER TOURNAMENT ROUND RTP SCORE EAGLES BIRDIES POSITION
58 Jim Furyk
2016 Travelers Championship 4 -12 1 10 T5
59 Scottie Scheffler
2020 The Northern Trust 2 -12 0 12 T4
59 Kevin Chappell
2020 A Military Tribute
at The Greenbrier 2 -11 0 11 T47
59 Brandt Snedeker
2018 Wyndham Championship 1 -11 1 10 1
59 Adam Hadwin
2017 CareerBuilder Challenge 3 -13 0 13 2
59 Justin Thomas
2017 Sony Open in Hawaii 1 -11 2 8 1
59 Jim Furyk
2013 BMW Championship 2 -12 1 11 3
59 Stuart Appleby
2010 The Greenbrier Classic 4 -11 1 9 1
59 Paul Goydos
2010 John Deere Classic 1 -12 0 12 2
59 David Duval
1999 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic 5 -13 1 11 1
59 Chip Beck
1991 Las Vegas Invitational 3 -13 0 13 T3
Only one player, Ross Fisher, has beaten 60 on the European Tour. Oliver shot 59 (-12) in the Portugal Masters in 2018, prior to his 59 there had been 19 scores of 60 on the tour.
There are some scores better than Jim Furyk’s score recorded but his 58 is the official record.
Observations by some of Golfs Stars.
1. “Forget the last shot. It takes so long to accept that you can’t always replicate your swing. The only thing you can control is your attitude toward the next shot.” -Mark McCumber
2. “I think it’s more than whether or not you win or lose. It’s having that opportunity on that final round, final nine, to come down the stretch with a chance to win.” -Phil Mickelson
3. “You don’t have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today’s game. It may be far from your best, but that’s all you’ve got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.” -Walter Hagen
4. “Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots–but you have to play the ball where it lies.” -Bobby Jones
5. “Discipline and concentration are a matter of being interested.” -Tom Kite
6 . “Everybody can see that my swing is homegrown. That means everybody has a chance to do it.” -Bubba Watson
7. “Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears. ” -Bobby Jones
8. “Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.” -Napoleon Hill
9. “He that can have patience can have what he will.” -Benjamin Franklin
10. “True sportsmanship is…
Knowing that you need your opponent because without him or her, there is no game.
Acknowledging that your opponent holds the same deep-rooted aspirations and expectations as you.
Knowing that, win or lose, you will walk off the course with pride.
Always taking the high road.
And always, always, always being a good sport.” -Lorii Myers
11. “The game has such a hold on golfers because they compete not only against an opponent, but also against the course, against par, and most surely- against themselves.” -Arnold Palmer
12. “Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you.” -Arnold Palmer
13. “Golf gives you an insight into human nature, your own as well as your opponent’s.“ -Grantland Rice
14. “Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation” -Jack Nicklaus
15. “Aggressive play is a vital asset of the world’s greatest golfers. However, it’s even more important to the average player. Attack this game in a bold, confident, and determined way, and you’ll make a giant leap toward realising your full potential as a player.” -Greg Norman
16. “Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing.” -Ben Hogan
17. “I’ve heard people say my swing’s not perfect, and I know that. But golf’s a natural sport, very sensitive. It’s played a lot by feel. I don’t care if my swing is too flat. If it works, I don’t have to change it.” -Sergio Garcia
18. “A hole in one is amazing when you think of the different universes this white mass of molecules has to pass through on its way to the hole.” -Mac O’Grady
19. “Golf is not, on the whole, a game for realists. By its exactitudes of measurements it invites the attention of perfectionists.” -Heywood Hale Broun
20. “Putting is like wisdom – partly a natural gift and partly the accumulation of experience.” -Arnold Palmer
21. “It’s about hitting the ball in the centre of the club face and hitting it hard.” -Bubba Watson
22. “Forget your opponents; always play against par.” -Sam Snead