KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 24 March, 2020
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Message to members from the Captains of Kilkenny Golf Club.
The COVID-19 crisis is a real concern for every member and we would like to update you on its impact in relation to Kilkenny Golf Club.
We are absolutely committed to following all HSE guidelines to ensure the safety of our members and our staff. It is the intention of the club to continue to provide casual golf for our members as long as it is safe to do so and in line with HSE, GUI/ILGU guidelines
To this end the following actions have been taken:-
• The Bar and Restaurant have been closed and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
• The Showers are closed, albeit the Locker rooms and Toilets remain open.
• Scheduled competitions, as per the Club diary, have been suspended.
• Mens and Ladies Seniors weekly competitions have been discontinued for the
• All meetings have been cancelled.
• Visitors/Green Fees are currently not being accepted.
• The rakes have been removed from the bunkers.
• The air hoses have been removed from the Wash-bay area.
• Divot bags have been removed.
• Our cleaning contractors continue to clean the Locker rooms and Toilets which remain open and will do a deep clean on the Bar & Restaurant & Shower areas prior to re-opening.
• The Flagsticks on the greens are not to be taken out. An insert has been placed in each cup to make the hole shallower and make it easier to remove your ball. This should be done with your gloved hand.
These actions have been taken to allow members play and enjoy their golf whilst acting within the guidelines issued by the HSE.
In order to ensure Kilkenny Golf Club remains a safe environment for both members and staff your co-operation with the following etiquette guidelines is requested for the duration of this crisis.
• Follow HSE guidelines in relation to hand washing and social distancing.
• It is particularly important to strictly observe social distancing by maintaining a 2 club length distance from your playing partners on every Tee, Green and Fairway.
• If you are feeling unwell or displaying any symptoms of a cold please do not come to the
Club. Refer to the HSE website for advice.
• All casual golf MUST be pre-booked on the BRS system. This allows the Club to control the flow of people onto and off the course.
• Nobody is entitled to commence play on any part of the course if they have not pre-booked.
• Each time slot is limited to three players, as per GUI/ILGU recommendation.
• All play MUST commence on the 1st hole.
• It is not permissible to jump from one hole to another e.g. 8th to 13th or 9th to 12th. The timeslots are set up at 15 minutes apart and if everybody arrives no sooner than 10 minutes before tee off time and maintains their place on the course they should not closely encounter anybody from another time slot.
• It is imperative that every player maintains their place on the course as slow play is not acceptable given the 15 minute time slots.
• Please rake the bunkers with your club or foot after you play your shot. The rakes have been removed for safety and the situation will be reviewed on an ongoing basis to see if an addition local rule is required.
• Do not remove or touch the Flagstick. Remove your ball from the hole with your gloved
hand if possible.
• Buggies are allowed however, sharing a buggy is not allowed given social distancing requirements. The hirer of the Buggy should put the buggy back in the charging bay and plug in the charger so that the Pro shop staff or Bar staff do not have to handle the buggy prior to it being wiped down the following morning.
• No more than three people are allowed on the Practice Putting Green at any one time
• The Chipping Green beside the 9th Tee is closed given that players have to cross holes to get there.
• The main Practice ground remains open. Players must observe social distancing both on
the Practice ground and the adjoining car park.
• Care should be taken in the Clubhouse car-park to maintain social distance requirements.
• Contact with the office staff should be by way of telephone or e-mail if at all possible.
It is not possible to comply with social distancing requirements if a member comes into
It is a fluid situation and further restrictions may be necessary to ensure we continue to comply with any new HSE requirements that might arise.
We would like to thank members for their support and understanding to date. The foregoing restrictions are essential to create as safe as possible an environment to play golf in.
Anthony Cleere & Bridie McGarry
Captain. Lady Captain.
It is essential that we all adhere to the above message and observe the guidelines as set out.
The Management Committee are doing everything to ensure casual golf continues to be available to all while complying with all HSE and Government guidelines.
We do not know what the future will bring but with your help we can continue to play until it is decreed otherwise.
Pro Shop Corner
Congratulations to Jim White on winning this weeks Proshop bonus ball draw and taking home a €230 voucher.
Next draw takes place on Saturday, 28 March, numbers are 5 each, call into the proshop for more details.
We wish to thank all the parents who put forward the names of their Junior boys and girls for extra coaching over the summer months.
Unfortunately, events have overtaken us and we have to put the coaching on hold until it is deemed safe to start.
Hopefully this wont be for too long and in conjunction with our professional Jimmy Bolger we will continue to plan ahead.
Finally, thanks to the volunteers who, remain on standby to assist when we do get the green light.
As previously stated the Monday Bridge sessions have been cancelled until further notice.
Likewise, play in the Singles and Doubles snooker tournaments are on hold.