KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 22 September, 2020
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Kilkenny members turned out in droves last week-end and enjoyed sun drenched conditions for the Club Thank You Event.
The four person team event was, a thank you, to the members for their patience and understanding during the lockdown, which was caused by the pandemic.
The results will not be available until later in the week, with high scoring teams wondering will they be in line for one of the many staycation prizes on offer.
Along with the golf prizes teams were treated to an excellent meal after their round of golf.
The Kilkenny Honda Centre Golfer of Year.
With just the Club Singles match play to be finalised, the Kilkenny Honda Centre, Golfer of the Year title is well and truly wrapped up.
Richie Guilfoyle is the runaway winner with a current total of 84 points. Richie is in the semi-final of the Club Singles so he could break the 100 points barrier. The previous record points total was 69, so, well done to Ritchie for his consistency during the year.
A full list of the top 10 will be published next week and the current leaderboard is displayed on the notice board.
For those looking to succeed Richie, the first counting competition for 2021 is taking place this weekend with the September Monthly Medal.
Club Matchplay Competitions
The three club match play competitions have all reached the semi-final stages, with the following matches to be completed by Wednesday, 30 September.
Richard Duggan v Richie Guilfoyle
Ricky Nolan v Paul Curran
Brendan Cleere & Derek Cleere v Colin Corbett & Ned Nolan
Sean Tyrell & Bernard McDonald, overcame Alan Brett & Ronan Moriarty and await the winners of the above semi.
Richard Duggan v Graham Nugent
Harry Duggan v Eddie Power
Club Finals Day is scheduled for Saturday, 17 October.
In preparation for the coming winter months, essential maintenance on our greens will take place on successive Mondays.
This means there will be no early Casual Golf on Monday, 28 September. The course will open for the September Monthly Medal at 09.10hrs.
The same procedure applies for Monday, 05 October, with the course not opening until 10.00hrs.
Sunday & Monday, 13 & 14 September. May Monthly Medal.
1. Niall Higgins (15), 64
2. Richie Guilfoyle (4), 67
3. John Hanrick (17), 68
Gross:- Mark Power (+5), 68
4. Martin Hanrick (11), 69
Category 4-7:- Thomas Buckley (5), 71
Category 8-11:- Dermot Doyle (8), 69
Category 12-15:- Tadgh Donohue (12), 69
Category 16-19:- John King (17), 71
Category 20 + :- Canice Hickey (21), 71
CSS. Sunday:- 72. Monday:- 71.
6th. Sean Boland, Liam O’Grady, Joe Casey, Michael Naughton, Stephen Collier, James Young, Neville Coen, Dom Murphy, Willie Murphy,
10th. Derek Shelly, Ciaran Aylmer, Niall Higgins, Jeff Kealy,
15th. Brendan Wall, John Doherty, Stephen Galvin, Patrick O’Hara, Niall Higgins, Richie Guilfoyle,
17th. Rody Curran, Paddy FitzPatrick, Simon Cullen,
Each ‘Two’ receives €17.90 credit in the Pro Shop.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, 18, 19, 20, 21 September.
Members Thank You Week-end
Due to the very large numbers of participants the results of the Club Thank You Event and the two’s club will not be available until later in the week.
Competition:- Junior Cup
Format:- Fives Singles, Matchplay
Match:- Kilkenny v Esker Hills
Venue:- Kilkenny two matches, The Heritage three.
Date/Time:- Saturday, 26 September @ 14.30
Team:- The team will not be announced until after final practice on Thursday.
Managers:- Luke Kelly & Aidan McDonald
With the easing of certain restrictions in Covid 19, limited spectators numbers will be allowed.
The team would welcome your support.
Guidelines for Saturday Fourball, 2020/21.
The organising committee of the Saturday Fourball intend to adopt the following procedures in organising the Saturday Fourball due to Covid 19. for 2020/21 season
• Entry for Members to the Saturday Fourball will be via the BRS system.
• Booking will open for the Saturday Fourball on the Wednesday, at 17.30, prior to the Saturday.
• It is intended to accommodate a minimum of 52 players each week. Actual numbers will be determined on a weekly basis in consultation with the General Manager.
• When booking Members should scroll to the Waiting List on the Saturday Fourball Competition and enter their name for inclusion in the draw. One player’s name only can be entered.
• Once the allocated number of entries is registered on the BRS waiting list, the committee will grade players into four handicap groups (low, low-to-medium, medium-to-high and high) according to the handicaps of the players registered. Play will be in teams of four comprising of one player from each handicap group.
• This draw will be posted and available to members on the BRS on Friday afternoon, with play commencing from the 1st Tee only at 10 minute intervals from 11.30hrs. starting time may change to allow a greater number of participants depending on the demands on the course each week. The time for The Saturday Fourball will be allocated to the organising committee by the General Manager before the draw is made.
• The names of players who are entered on the Waiting List, but who do not make the original draw (which is based strictly on a first-come first served basis) will remain on a Waiting List and will automatically fill vacancies if they arise.
• Players should not enter their names unless they are available to Tee Off at any time allocated to them between 11.30 and 1.30
• Players are asked to arrive in the Club, in accordance with existing Covid Protocol, which is 10 minutes before their allocated teeing off time on the Timesheet .
• Entry Fee for the competition €5 will be taken in the Starters Office.
• On completion of the round, cards should be placed in Saturday Fourball Scorebox in Starters Office.
• The result of the competition will be posted on the Noticeboard and in the Club Notes each week. There will be no weekly Prize Presentations. The Prizewinners each week will receive a Voucher for the Pro’s Shop and will be distributed after the last competition in December and at the conclusion of the Saturday Fourball in March ’21.
• All Entry Fees collected from members will be distributed in Prize Vouchers over the course of the Saturday Fourball season.
Thursday, 17 September. 13 Hole Stableford
1. Michael Hayes(15), Murt Farragher(18), Oliver Duggan(25), Pat O’Briain(23) 68
2. Dom Murphy(16), Gabriel Maher(20), Brian Keane(23), Eamonn Everard(27) 64
3. Frank Byrne(14), Jerry O’Dwyer(19), Michael O’Reilly(22), Nicky Lawlor(25) 63 (B3)
4. Mick O’Flynn(17), Jim Meredith(23), Dermot Moloney(24), Maurice Ryan(23) 63 (B1)
5. Michael Grant(9), Geoff Meagher(18), Andy Hughes(21), Joe Nolan(26) 63 (B6)
6. Philip O’Neill(16), Eddie Geraghty(24), Michael Cody(23), Sean Breathnach(24) 61pts
7. Noel Skehan(15), Tom Dunne(19), Michael O’Sullivan(22), Ger Power(26) 58pts.
64 Players took part.
Dates for your Diary.
Thursday, 24 September:- Eamonn Molloy Cup & 5th Round of Golfer of the Year.
Thursday, 01 October:- Mixed Competition with Senior Ladies Society.
Thursday, 08 October:- Mick Cantwell Cup & 6th Round of Golfer of the Year.
Thursday, 15 October:- Ray Cody Cup.
Thursday, 17 December:- Seniors Society Christmas Party.
Pro Shop Corner
The first draw for the Wednesday Bonus Ball will take place tomorrow, Wednesday, 23 September
Ladies Club Notes
Past Lady Captain’s Day
Former Lady Captains and Lady Presidents recently competed and enjoyed an afternoon of golf in Kilkenny GC. Past Lady Captains competed for the Mulhall Cup, which was won by Mary Browne (29) 28pts (B3) from Ursula Deloughrey
There also was a nine hole competition on offer and this was won by Barbara Teehan (21), on 18pts.
Dates for your Diary.
Tuesday, 22 September – Autumn Cups – Fourball, Better ball, Stableford.
Tuesday, 29 September – 18 Hole Stableford – Nine Hole Stableford.
Please note that due to the fading light there will be no more Tuesday evening 18 Hole competitions during 2020.
Times are available on BRS for Saturdays and Sundays.
Club Matchplay Competitions
All club matches to be played by Tuesday, 29 September.
Tuesday, 15 September. 18 Stableford
1. Ann Brophy-Murphy (40), 43 pts
2. Sarah Molloy (5), 41 pts
Gross:- Jan Browne (2), 30 pts
3. Helen Butler (21), 36 pts (B9)
4. Paula Bradbury (20), 36 pts
5. Yvonne Egan (11), 34 pts (B9)
Sunday:- CSS: 75. Tuesday:- CSS: 73.
Nine Hole Stableford
1. Hilda Richardson (37), 17pts
2. Ann Widger (22), 15pts (B6)
Thursday, 17 September. Ladies, 13 Hole, Gala Day.
1. Paula Bradbury, Ann M. Murphy, Frances Gray, Marie Curran, 62
2. Catherine Barrett, Frances Graham, Mary Feighery, Sheila O’Mahony, 57
3. Bridget Norwood, Breda Kavanagh, Kathleen Price, Mary Lawlor, 56
4. Ann D. Murphy, Ann Kelly, Celine O’Sullivan, (51+4), 55
40 Ladies played and enjoyed their golf, in brilliant sunshine, in our 13 Hole Gala Day, and was followed by a light, socially distant, lunch in the Clubhouse.
Our next outing, on Thursday, will be a nine hole competition.
Bookings are available, on line, via the BRS, with the first tee off at 09.20hrs.
Sunday, 20 September. Golf sixes for Juniors.
1. Samuel Fleming & Tom Glennon
2. Alex Rochford & James Kavanagh
3. Arthur Browne & Joe Corbett
James Murphy/Gavin Ryan/Nick Douglas
1. Mia Duggan & Anna Keogh
Tuesday, 22 September
08.20-08.30 Members Casual Golf
08.40-09.50 Ladies 18 Hole Fourball Stableford
10.00-10.20 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
10.30-10.40 Ladies Into Golf
10.50-12.10 Members Casual Golf
12.20-13.40 Ladies 18 Hole Fourball Stableford
13.50-14.10 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
14.20-14.30 Ladies Into Golf
14.40-15.40 Members Casual Golf
15.50-16.10 Ladies 18 Hole Fourball Stableford
16.20 Ladies Into Golf
16.30-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Wednesday, 23 September
08.20-08.50 Members Casual Golf
09.09-15.54 Ladies & Gent’s Open Singles
16.00-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Thursday, 24 September
08.20-09.10 Members Casual Golf
09.20-10.40 Senior Ladies
10.50-13.20 Senior Gent’s
14.40-14.20 Members Casual Golf
15.10-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Friday, 25 September
08.20-12.28 Members Casual Golf
13.40-14.00 Members Casual Golf
16.20-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Saturday, 26 September
07.30-08.20 Members Time
08.30-09.55 Ladies & Gent’s Competition
12.04-14.20 Members Casual Golf
14.30-15.00 Junior Cup v Esker Hills.
15.30-16.00 Ladies & Gents Competition
16.10-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Sunday, 27 September
07.30-15.45 Ladies & Gent’s Competition
Gent’s:- September Monthly Medal
Ladies:- 18 Hole Stableford
15.55-16.05 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
16.15-18.00 Junior Sixes
18.10-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Monday, 28 September
08.20-09.00 Closed for Course Maintenance
09.10-11.52 Gent’s September Monthly Medal
14.10-15.58 Gent’s September Monthly Medal
16.10-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Tuesday, 28 September
08.15-08.35 Members Casual Golf
08.38-09.50 Ladies 18 Hole Singles
09.59-10.17 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
10.26-10.35 Ladies Into Golf
12.14-13.35 Ladies 18 Hole Singles
13.44-14.02 Ladies Nine Hole Competition
14.11-14.20 Ladies 18 Hole Competition
14.29-14.38 Ladies In to Golf
14.47-19.00 Members Casual Golf
Wednesday, 30 September
08.12-08.50 Members Casual Golf
09.00-11.20 Ladies & Gent’s Open Singles
13.00-15.50 Ladies & Gent’s Open Singles
16.00-19.00 Members Casual Golf