KILKENNY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Tuesday, 13 October
Follows us on Twitter:- Kilkennygolfclub@club_kilkenny
Leinster AIG Junior Cup
Kilkenny came through an extremely tough semi-final when they overcame a much fancied Waterford side by a margin of 3:2.
Home advantage proved the key factor in their success with the home players taking the three points on offer.
Waterford pushed Kilkenny all the way but with Alan O’Rourke winning on the 18th, Richie Guilfoyle securing a two up win on 18th and Brendan Dowling coming home with a 3:2 victory, Kilkenny progressed to the Leinster final.
With the tightness of the home matches it looked as if we would need an away point and our men fought extremely hard to add that point. With Tim Kealy losing 3:2, Rory MacEneaney was beaten two down in what was a very high quality match.
Next up, this Sunday, is the Leinster final, to be held in the neutral venue of Birr GC.
Match:- Kilkenny v Corrstown
Venue:- Birr GC
Date/Time:- Sunday, 18 October @ 8.30 hrs.
Team:- With the squad practicing in Birr over the coming days there will be no team announcement until the end of the week.
Whilst there are no spectators are permitted at the final we can use the various social media site to encourage our boys and wish them well in their endeavours. Only the 5 players, 2 reserves, 2 team managers and Captain are allowed to attend, 10 in total. The Gui will have an official in attendance on the day so no one else will gain admittance.
Managers:- Luke Kelly & Aidan McDonald.
Club Finals Day Saturday October 17th
Club Finals day takes place this Saturday Oct 17th and the timesheet is listed below, unfortunately due to Coiid 19 regulations and restrictions there will not be a meal or prize presentation on the night.
Arrangements for Presentation will take place at some time in the future.
CLUB FINALS DAY Saturday 17/10/2020
12.00 Mens Scratch Matchplay Richard Duggan v Harry Duggan
12.09 Ladies Toastal Cup (H/Cap 0 to 18) Ella Dunphy v Phyl Doyle
12.18 Ladies Nore Cup (H/Cap 19 to 28) Carmel O’Shea v Mary Browne
12.27 Ladies Nancy Todd Trophy (H/Cap 29 to 36) Stephanie Downes v Mary Gorman
12.36 Ladies Plate (H/Cap 37 to 54) Collette Hickey v Anne Brophy Murphy
12.45 Mens Monthly Medal Paul McCabe, John Meagher, Sam Dunlop
12.54 Mens Monthly Medal Ian Harrison, Niall Higgins, Bryan Rogers
13.03 Mens Fourball Sean P Tyrell & Bernard McDonald v Brendan Cleere & Derek Cleere
13.15 J D Murphy Memorial Girls Eve Duggan v Abbie O’ Donoghue
13.24 J D Murphy Memorial Boys Sean Keenan v A N Other
13.33 J D Murphy Memorial Junior Boys Finalists Not Yet Known
Mens Singles Matchplay Richard Guilfoyle v Rick Nolan
To be played at later date due to involvement in Leinster Final Junior Cup
World Handicapping System
The GUI and ILGU will introduce the World Handicapping System to Ireland from Monday, 02 November.
This will enable golfers, of different abilities, to compete, on a fair and equal basis on any course, anywhere around the world.
Every player will be assigned a Handicap Index prior to Monday, 02 November.
Your handicap Index will be an average of the best eight scores, out of your last 20 singles scores.
The Handicap committee will have the discretion to adjust this up or down to ensure that it honestly reflects your playing ability.
Every course has been assigned a Slope, which is a measure of the degree of difficulty of the course, with a different Slope assigned for each set of tees.
In Kilkenny, the course has been assigned a different slope for the White, Green and Red tees.
There will be a sign at the 1st Tee showing the slope for each set of Tees and an Index showing the shots a player will be allocated depending on what range his/her handicap index is in.
Examples of how it will work are as follows:
A Man playing off the White markers, with an exact Handicap Index of 12.4, is in the range of 12.3 to 13.0 and as such would receive 15 shots.
The same player (12.4) playing off the Green Markers would be in the range 11.7 to 12.5 and as such would receive 14 shots.
A lady, playing off the Red markers, whose exact Handicap Index was 12.4 would fall within the range 11.7 to 12.6 and as such would receive 13 shots.
Your playing handicap is then dictated by the competition you are playing in on the day. Players in all singles competitions will receive 95% of these shots.
More information on the World Handicap System can be got at www.golfnet.ie
All you need to know on Monday, 02 November is your Handicap Index.
If you are entering a competition by signing in on the computer terminal your Handicap Index will automatically come up when you enter your name.
Gent’s Prize giving.
In an effort to alleviate the difficulties, brought about by Covid 19, all prize-winners in Men’s competitions from 01 August to 30 September, have had their vouchers credited directly to their accounts in the Pro Shop.
This is due to the fact that we cannot hold presentations at the moment.
Any Ladies prizes won, in the Wednesday Open Singles, during August & September have been credited to their accounts also.
A reminder that placing on Fairways (Closely Mown Areas) came into effect last Wednesday, 07 October.
Placing is also permitted in bunkers.
The same rule applies to both, mark the ball before lifting. The ball may be cleaned and replaced within six inches, not nearer the hole. As regards Bunkers the ball must be replaced in the Bunker.
Locker Rooms & Bar
Please note, members are requested to remove their clubs and caddy cars from the locker rooms for the duration of the Level 3 Lockdown and keep them at home until the expected ending of Level 3 on Tuesday, 27 October.
The Bar will also remain closed until Tuesday, 27 October.
The Toilets remain in use.
Barry Joyce will continue to operate a take-away facility at the week-ends .
On Friday and Saturday’s he will operate from 16.00hrs to 19.00hrs. and on Sundays he will provide this service from 13.00hrs to 16.00. Members, wishing to avail of this service, are requested to phone Barry on 086 820 5260.
Barry will confirm the menu available and confirm a collection time for your order.
Guidelines in relation to Saturday Fourball 2020/21.
The organising committee of the Saturday Fourball intend to adopt the following procedures in organising the Saturday Fourball, due to Covid 19, for 2020/21 season.
• Entry for Members to the Saturday Fourball will be via the BRS system .
• Bookings will open on the Wednesday, at 17.30hrs, prior to the Saturday.
• It is intended to accommodate a minimum of 52 players each week. Actual numbers will be determined on a weekly basis in consultation with the General Manager.
• When booking Members should scroll to the Waiting List on the Saturday Fourball Competition and enter their name for inclusion in the draw. One player’s name only can be entered.
• Once the allocated number of entries is registered on the BRS waiting list, the committee will grade players into four handicap groups (low, low-to-medium,medium-to-high and high) according to the handicaps of the players registered.
Play will be in teams of four, comprising one player from each handicap group.
• The draw will be posted and available, to members, on the BRS on Friday afternoon with play commencing from the 1st Tee only, at 10 minute intervals from 11.30 a.m. approx.The starting time may change to allow a greater number of participants depending on the demands on the course each week. The starting time for The Saturday Fourball will be allocated to the organising committee by the General Manager before the draw is made.
• The names of players who are entered on the Waiting List, but who do not make the original draw (which is based strictly on a first –come first served basis) will remain on a Waiting List and will automatically fill vacancies if they arise.
• Players should not enter their names unless they are available to Tee Off at any time allocated to them between 11.30 and 13.30hrs.
• Players are asked to arrive in the Club in accordance with existing COVID PROTOCOL which is 10 minutes before their allocated teeing off time on the Timesheet .
• Entry Fee for the competition is €5 and will be taken in the Starters Office.
• On completion of the round, cards should be placed in Saturday Fourball Scorebox in the Starters Office.
• The result of the competition will be posted on the Noticeboard and in the Club Notes each week. There will be no weekly Prize Presentations. The Prizewinners each week will receive a Voucher for the Pro’s Shop and will be distributed after the last competition in December and at the conclusion of the Saturday Fourball in March ’21.
• All Entry Fees collected from members will be distributed in Prize Vouchers over the course of the Saturday Fourball season.
Saturday, Sunday & Monday, 26/27/28 September- Monthly Medal
1. Brian Harrington (16) 64
2. Noel Morrissey (12 66
3. Alan Phelan (2) 67
Gross:- Harry Duggan ((Scr.) 71
4. Mark O’Neill (13) 68
Category 4-7:- Rory MacEneaney (5) 68
Category 8-11:- Jim White (8) 68
Category 12-15:- Sean Byrne (15) 69
Category 16-19:- Dave Conlon (16) 69
Category 20 + :- Canice Hickey (21) 70
6th. Anthony White, Nathan Ryan, Mark O’Neill, Harry Duggan, Alan Phelan,, 10th. Alan Phelan, Cormac Hickey,
15th. Brian Harrington, Leo Hennessey, 17th. Pat Colins.
Each ‘Two’ receives €13.78 credit in the Pro Shop.
Wednesday, 07 October. Ladies & Gent’s Open Singles CSS:- 74
1. Patrick Morris (11) 43
2. Paul McCabe (10) 40
3. Conor Morrissey (8) 39
Gross:- Graham Nugent (Scr.) 36
Category 4-7:- Chris Murray (7) (Tramore) 36
Category 8-11:- Vincent Hayes (8) 37
Category 12-15:- Norman Williams (12) 36
Category 16-19:- Corey Dwyer (18) 37
Category 20 + :- Canice Hickey (20) 39
1. Paula Bradbury (20) 35pts – CSS:- 73.
6th Neil Loy, Paula Bradbury, 15th Paul McCabe, Norman Williams, 17th Vincent Hayes, Tony Butler, Derek Kinahan.
Each two is worth €25.30 and is credited in the Pro Shop.
Thursday, 08 October. 13 Hole Stableford. 84 Players took part.
1. Philip O’Neill, Martin Murphy, Richie McEvoy, Liam Barry 61pts.
2. Noel Skehan, Richie Phelan, Tom Brett, Brendan Graham 59pts.
3. Pat Collins, Martin Mullane, Martin Treacy, Seamus Crickley 57.
4. David O’Mahony, Jim Meredith, Eddie Geraghty, Jack Nolan 56.
5. Rodger Curran, Peter Ryan, Michael O’Reilly, Fr Pat Duggan 53.
6. Proinnsias OhAilin, Bob Greany, Roger Ryan, Denis Carey 52 (B6)
7. Pat Drennan, Geoff Meagher, Joe O’Driscoll, Joe Ledwidge 52.
Congratulations to Martin Mullane playing off a handicap of 21, the winner of the Mick Cantwell Memorial Cup with a score of 26 points.
Mick was a very popular Captain of the KGC Seniors Society in 2005.
Congratulations to the 2020 Golfer of the Year, Dom Murphy, winner of Category 1 with as score of 116 points and Jim Meredith, winner of Category 2, on 101 points.
Round 6 of the ‘Golfer of the Year’ Singles Competition:-
Category 1 Winner:- Dom Murphy (16) 26pts.
Runner-up:- John McCarron (16) 25pts
Category 2 Winner:- Liam Barry (27) 26pts
Runner-up:- Richie McEvoy (21) 25pts
Mick Cantwell Cup
Winner:- Martin Mullane (21) 26Pts
Dates for your Diary
Thursday, 22 October – Ray Cody Memorial Cup
Pro Shop Corner
Wednesday’s Bonus Ball winner was Jim White.
Jim receives a €230 voucher for the Pro shop.
The next draw will take place on Wednesday. There are still a few numbers available so call in to the Pro shop or phone Jimmy or Eoin on 056 776 1730.
Ladies Club Notes
Tuesday, 07 October. Ladies 18 Hole – A B C Stroke CSS:- 76
1st. Class A Eileen Rose Power (3) 74
1st. Class B Ann Widger (23) 81
1st. Class C Catherine Hughes (34) 69
2nd. Colette Hickey (36) 73
Gross:- Yvonne Egan (11) 88
3rd. Liz Neary (17) 79
Ladies Nine Hole Stableford
1st Mary O’ Connell (39) 15pts
2nd Annette Whelan (28) 14pts
Senior Ladies 36 Ladies Played.
Thursday, 08 October. Nine Hole Competition.
1. Edith Ogilvie, Helen O’Gorman, Gene O’Brien, Mary Feighery, 36
2. Joan Cashin, Mary Gorman, Hilda Richardson, Mary Shields, 35
3. Ann Gunning, Kathleen Price, Eileen Byrne, Marie Curran, 33
4. Jane Duggan, Greta Nicholson, Margaret Harmer, Tish Leech, 29
Our next outing, on Thursday, 15 October, will be a nine hole competition.
Bookings are available, on line, via the BRS, with the first tee off at 09.20hrs.
The final session of our six week Junior Golf Sixes competition was held on Sunday last in glorious autumn sunshine.
We had a record attendance, with 55 young golfers participating.
Thank you to all the volunteers who turned out each week to escort the groups out on the course, your generosity with your time and commitment added to the success of the programme.
There is great enthusiasm amongst this young cohort of juniors to play and develop their game and Kilkenny Golf Club is committed to helping them in their endeavours.
On Friday, 30 October, during the Halloween break,(Covid 19 regulations allowing), it is planned to hold a 13 hole competition for all Juniors (those who play in Monday competition in summer) and a later time slot for our younger Juniors (golf sixes) to follow. More details will follow in next week’s notes.
Sunday, 11 October. Junior Sixes
1. Ardagh O”Shea & Conor Marry
2. Tom Glennon & Rossa Mooney
1. Oisin Henderson & David Waldron
2. Dylan Dempsey & Joe Corbett
1. Ali Greany & Kate Aylmer
Emma Hogan Mia Duggan
Wednesday, 14 October
08.20-08.58 Members Casual Golf , 09.07-15.07 Ladies & Gent’s Open Singles, 15.34-18.25 Members Casual Golf
Thursday, 15 October
08.20-09.10 Members Casual Golf, 09.20-10.40 Senior Ladies , 10.50-13.20 Senior Gent’s 13.30-18.20 Members Casual Golf
Friday, 16 October
08.20-11.20 Members Casual Golf , 11.32-13.15 Ramblers & Gamblers , 13.25-18.25 Members Casual Golf
Saturday, 17 October
08.06-08.51 Members Casual Golf , 09.00-11.20 Ladies & Gent’s 18 Hole Singles Stableford, 11.30-15.00 Club Finals Day
15.18-18.27 Members Casual Golf
Sunday, 18 October
07.51-15.03 Ladies & Gent’s 18 Hole Singles, 15.12-15.22 Ladies Nine Hole Competition, 15.25-17.58 Members Casual Golf
Monday, 19 October
08.20-09.00 Members Casual Golf , 09.59-12.50 Gent’s 18 Hole Singles Competition, 13.00-13.50 Members Casual Golf
14.00-14.56 Gent’s 18 Hole Singles Competition, 15.05-18.14 Members Casual Golf
Tuesday, 20 October
08.00-08.45 Members Casual Golf
08.56-10.44 Ladies Competition, 10.53-12.05 Members Casual Golf, 12.14-14.47 Ladies Competition
14.56-18.12 Members Casual Golf
08.00-08.55 Members Casual Golf, 09.05-15.05 Ladies & Gent’s Open Singles, 15.14-18.00 Members Casual Golf