February may have proved to be one of the mildest months for some considerable time. However, March is already proving to be a spoilsport. First to bite the dust was, the much anticipated, Lunar golf, scheduled for Friday evening. With the forecast predicting heavy rain the organisers cancelled the event on Thursday afternoon.
Next up, Saturdays Crosscard and whilst it wasn’t cancelled, it had a much smaller attendance than usual with only eight teams braving the elements.
Sunday proved no better. The time sheet was cleared from 10.00hrs onwards with only a handful of the early starters managing to complete their round and the remainder coming in off the course early.
The winners and two other pairings that featured played on Saturday. The other prize winners were early risers on Sunday.
Congratulations to Sean Tyrell (14) & Eugene Buckley (13) on their success and they will now go forward to represent the Club in the S.E. Regional Finals.
Next week-end, the first of the Club Qualifiers will be held on Saturday, Sunday & Monday, with members playing in the Club Fourball for one of the 32 places in the match-play competition. This qualifying competition is v Par and pairings will be playing off 9/10th of their handicap.
A reminder to Student/Junior Members that while they may play in Club Qualifying competitions they cannot qualify for the match play stages of the competition.
Final Day for Annual Subscriptions
Last Thursday (28 Feb.) was the final day for the payment of the Annual subscriptions. Many thanks to all who have already paid or made arrangements to pay. If your subscription is still outstanding please arrange to pay same immediately.
With the commencement of the full 18 hole golfing schedule, members are reminder that they play off their full GUI handicap. All cuts received during the winter months are consigned to the bin.
However, the ruling permitting players to mark and place their ball within six inches, not nearer the hole will continue for the foreseeable future.
These competitions will be non-qualifying for handicap purposes.
Course Closure – Bar, Catering Facilities
During this period of essential maintenance and while the course remains closed, the bar facilities will remain open.
The catering operation will be closed until Thursday and will resume again on Friday morning.
Sat./Sun., 02/03 March. HolmPatrick 18 Hole Qualifier.
1. Sean Tyrell (14) & Eugene Buckley (13) 44pts.
2. Paschal Connolly (14) & Joe Casey (12) 42pts. (B3)
3. Luke Kelly (5) & Colin Furlong (10) 42pts.
4. Liam Fahy (19) & Leo Hennessey (12) 41pts. (B6)
5. Pat Collins (13) & Paul Colfer (17) 41pts. (B9)
6th. Eugene Buckley, Noel Casey, 10th. James Bateman, Pat Collins, 15th. John Byrne, Niall Sheehan, 17th. Mark Brennan, Larry Carroll,
Eugene Deegan, Each ‘Two’ receives €16.00 credit in the Pro Shop.
Saturday, 02 March. Gent’s Crosscard. Eight Teams Played.
1. Morgan Doyle, Liam Cody, PJ O’Reilly, Tony Butler, 61
2. Tommy Walton, PJ Martin, Pat Hickey, Padraig O’Keeffe, 60
3. Rob Kearney, Larry Gittens, John Clarke, Martin Duggan, 57
4. Tommy Barry, Tom Sloyan, Ollie Cullen, Myles McCabe, 55
5. Gabriel Maher, Oliver Duggan, David Farragher, David Lunn, 54
With the bad weather on Saturday there was a low turnout for the Crosscard, resulting in no significant changes to the leaderboard.
Individual League Leaderboard. Round 7. (Two rounds remaining).
1. Larry Gittens, 76
2. Paddy Smee, 73
3. Pat McEvoy 71
4. Rob Kearney, 70
5. Nathan Ryan, 69
6. Philip O’Neill, 65
7. Pat Butler, 63
8. Oliver Duggan, 62
9. Pat Hickey, 61
10. Dermot Doyle, 60
11. Brian Cullen, Noel Maher, 59
13. Myles McCabe, 58
14. Gerry Leahy, 55
15. Tony Butler, Matt Ruth, Mark Shortall, David Lunn, 54
19. John McCarron, Peter Dabinett, Joe O’Neill, 52
75 Players took part.
Thursday, 28 February. 14 Hole, Champagne Scramble. 75 Players took part.
1. Noel Skehan, Richie McEvoy, Shem Lawlor, Oliver Duggan, 85.
2. Michael Grant, Donie Butler, Eddie Geraghty, Gerry Bowe, 78.
3. Pat Collins, Richard Butler, Pat O’Briain, Nicky Lawlor, 77.
4. Pat Drennan, Geoff Meagher, Michael O’Sullivan, Terry Harmer, 76.
5. Matt Ruth, Michael Nicholson, Jim Treacy, Joe Nolan, 75.
6. Willie P Murphy, Jim Dollard, Liam Merrins, Joe O’Driscoll, 74 (B7).
7. Eddie Guilfoyle, Jim Meredith, Andy MacEneaney, Paddy Hally, 74.
SENIORS PLEASE NOTE
There will be no golf this Thursday, 07 March, due to the Hollow Coring and essential maintenance taking place.
Next Competition Thursday, 14 March. Play starts at 10.50. Check in is from 09.45 – Draw closes at 11.15.
Society Subs are only valid once your Golf Club Membership has been paid prior to close of business on 28 February 2019.
Pro Shop Corner
Callaway Fitting Day
The first fitting day of year is with Callaway on Wednesday, 13 March., Cost of fitting is €40, which will be deducted of the rrp of the golf club.
All appointments are pre paid and must be booked in advance from the Pro shop.
Ladies Club Notes
Presentation of Prizes
Ladies, please note, for the remainder of the year, the presentation of prizes for all Ladies competitions will take place on the last Tuesday of each month. The exact time for presentations will be confirmed in the notes the previous week.
Tuesday, 26 February. 13 Hole Stableford
1. Margaret Butler (22), 27pts (B8)
2. Ann Short (30), 27pts
Gross:- Orla Dunphy (1), 25pts
3. Mary Norton (10), 26pts (B6)
4. Marian Woods (17), 26pts (B7)
5. Mary O’Neill (27), 26pts
Ladies Nine Hole Stableford
1. Joan O’Sullivan (33) 17pts, 2. Mary Browne (28) 16pts
Senior Ladies 28 Ladies played.
Thursday, 28 February.
1. Jane Duggan, Mary Gorman, Anne Phelan, 35pts.
2. Ann Widger, Margaret Harmer, Mary O’Connell, 35pts. (B6)
3. Nuala Crotty, Kay Gray, Sheila O’Mahony, 34pts.
4. Breda Kavanagh, Peggy Murray, Anne B. Murphy 33pts.
Bridge – Monday, 25 February
1. Toni Hayes & Terry Harmer
2. Breda Kavanagh & Paddy Smee
3. John King & Brendan McIntyre
4. Catherine Barrett & Mary Gorman
5. Cecily Costello & Patricia O’Sullivan